10 Red Flags when hiring a Contractor –
Here are some simple alerts to listen for or to verify when deciding on who to trust to work on your home.
- The contractor says “I can save you a lot of money if you pull the building permit”
- The contractor doesn’t have the proper license or insurances.
- The contractor talks about his years of experience (or his companies combined years of experience) instead of the years he or she has been in business under the same name.
- The contractor says “No Problem!” to what ever budget, start date and construction schedule that you ask for.
- The contractor can’t even give you a budget range until he/she brings a parade full of subcontractors through your home.
- The contractor writes his proposal on a standard, carbonless form.
- The contractor doesn’t have a web site (or has one that was a school project of his tenth grader)
- The contractor has less than 10 references and 4 have his same last name
- The contractor doesn’t have any references for the type of project that you are planning
- The contractor asks you to go to a “Big Box” store to make your material selections